Date:      Mon, 17 Jun 1996 10:47:13 EST
From:      "David Alderman" <dave@persprog.com>
To:        Sean Eric Fagan <sef@kithrup.com>, hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Tape drive questions/recommendations

> From:          Sean Eric Fagan <sef@kithrup.com>
> So I've been looking at other tape drives today.  A place called the Disk
> Drive Depot has an Archive drive of some sort, DAT, with a 4 tape
> autochanger.  I don't know the model number yet, 'cause they were closed
> today.
>
> So... the Archive one, if it works and has a decent warranty, would be my
> preference (since I have all these DATs here that I've been doing backups
> on, and I'd like to be able to use them should I need to pull something off
> ;)), but I do want something reliable and that works flawlessly with
> FreeBSD.
>
> So, how about it, folks... anyone know anything about this Archive drive, or
> have preferences for the others?

Drive Depot is also known as CSC or Corporate Systems Center.  The
drive you are referring to is a DDS changer.  This means that you use
DDS (2 Gig) tapes that support 4 Gig hardware compression.  I have
one here on an SCO system (don't hit me!) and it works fine.  you can
manually change tapes from a front panel controls or you can send it
commands (if you have/write appropriate software) from the system.
It has a front panel display that shows you the current status in
text format so you know which tape is in and what it is doing.  I
believe Seagate/Conner/Archive has discontinued this drive in favor
of a DDS-2 unit that costs more, but it is IMO a good value.
If someone else has something good or bad to say about Archive DDS
drives I would like to hear about it as well.

With SCO, we sometimes get hangs on our older Archive DAT drives.
I've been blaming this on the software (since I can't look at the
source like some OS'es I use!).  I have not seen this with FreeBSD at
all.
When philosophy conflicts with reality, choose reality.
Dave Alderman  -- dave@persprog.com