Date:      Fri, 11 Aug 2000 12:14:57 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Kevin Menard <kmenard@cisco.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: microuptime()  and vinum

On Thursday, 10 August 2000 at 15:31:26 -0400, Kevin Menard wrote:
> Hi,
>
> When I go to start or init a plex or subdisk in vinum, my screen quickly fills
> up with a message to the extent of "/kernel microuptime() coutning backwards
> 'misc. #' 'misc.#'".
>
> I just want to know if: a) this is normal and nothing to worry
about,

No.

> and b) if not, what would cause such a message to occur?

It's probably due to a bug in the timekeeping which seems to hit
certain motherboards, notably AMD Athlons.  It doesn't have anything
to do with Vinum beyond the fact that Vinum makes the system work, and
these are the circumstances under which the problem occurs.

You should give more details.  I'm currently chasing exactly this
problem.

Greg