Date:      Thu, 20 Jul 1995 21:02:31 +1000
From:      Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
To:        bde@zeta.org.au, phk@freefall.cdrom.com
Cc:        current@freefall.cdrom.com, jkh@time.cdrom.com
Subject:   Re: Hmmmm!  New error encountered with cpio while building root.flp

>> cpio (and tar) now check for minor numbers that would be truncated.  pax
>> now uses the correct macro for minor() so its existing check works.  The

>You shouldn't check when "cpio -p" is in effect..

I only check for `cpio -o' since that is the only place where I thought
minor numbers would be truncated.

Now I can think of some more places: for `cpio -i', 32-bit rdevs in the
input may be silently truncated if ints or rdevs in the target system
are less than 32 bits.  I think there are similar bugs in nfs.

Bruce