Date:      Wed, 07 Aug 2002 22:02:11 -0700
From:      Desmond Lee <desmond.lee@shaw.ca>
To:        Kent Stewart <kstewart@owt.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: still can't upgrade using make install world

Hi Kent

Thanks for your reply

>Well, it told you what to do. The user to be added is identified in
>/usr/src/UPDATING

>But I won't force you to read it. You have to add to your passwrd file
>the following as one line.

I've already read it... serveral times now. I'm learning freebsd for fun,
not cause i have to :)

>smmsp:*:25:25::0:0:Sendmail Submission
>User:/var/spool/clientmqueue:/sbin/nologin

>You also have to add smmsp to /etc/group
>
>smmsp:*:25:

The following line was one of the lines added to the /etc/group file:
smmsp:*:25:

The following lines was one of the lines added to the /etc/master.passwd
file:
smmsp:*:25:25::0:0:Sendmail Submission
User:/var/spool/clientmqueue:/sbin/nologin

>Then, installworld will finish your upgrade. You could also run
>mergemaster -p but I don't let mergemaster touch my group or password
>files.

Actually, i was told only to run 'mergemaster' not 'mergemaster -p'
afterwards. Ha.. i already learnt not to let it mess around w/ the group and
password files :P

So, like it's not that i'm not listening to the advice i get on this mailing
list. In fact, i like this mailing list cause everyone is trying to help me
out. But the thing is, i'm following instructions, but things just ain't
going my way. So things are getting a little bit fustrating. Never the less,
I think i've set up the files right, but still can't do the 'make
installworld'. I've read this section in my book a couple times now, but
it's for beginners so it doesn't really cover some of the stuff that i've
discussed on this mailing list.

If you or anyone else has any more good ideas,... please please help :)

Desmond

Desmond