Date:      Sun, 1 Jan 2012 11:03:21 -0800
From:      Michael DeMan <freebsd@deman.com>
To:        freebsd-fs@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: zfs detach/replace

Right, I botched it and did a 'replace' on a drive that is in an raidz2 =
pool.  replace is for replacing a mirrored drive.

This happened to us a couple years ago during early testing, we noticed =
it, and at that time were unable to get the machine out of its funky =
state without destroying and rebuilding the pool.  Basically drive #5 in =
the raidz2 pool thinks that it is  supposed to be working on a =
replacement for a pair of mirrored physical drives.

We have shutdown and started the machine without the drive installed, =
done all sorts of things, etc.  We can not even offline it because:

<SNIP># zpool offline zp1rz2 label/ada5LABEL
cannot offline label/ada5LABEL: no valid replicas

On Dec 31, 2011, at 4:08 PM, Joshua Boyd wrote:

> On Sat, Dec 31, 2011 at 1:58 AM, Michael DeMan <freebsd@deman.com> =
wrote:
> Hi All,
>=20
> The origination of the problem is entirely my fault on  FreeBSD 8.1 =
RELEASE #0.  We had old notes that attempting a 'replace' (which is =
appropriate for a mirror) leaves ZFS in a funky state on BSD.  I =
inadvertently did just that on a drive swap on a raidz2 pool.  My old =
notes show the only recovery that we knew of at the time was to rsync or =
zfs-send the pool elsewhere, destroy the local and rebuild from scratch.