Date:      Thu, 7 Dec 1995 23:10:29 +0000
From:      mark@linus.demon.co.uk (Mark Valentine)
To:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: integer divide fault in tcp_timers() - update

> From: mark@linus.demon.co.uk (Mark Valentine)
> Date: Thu 7 Dec, 1995
> Subject: integer divide fault in tcp_timers()

> I seem to have tickled a bug in TCP in recent kernels, leading to a panic
> in tcp_timers().

Hmm.  This happened the very next SMTP session to freefall, again on
outgoing mail.  It seems to be pretty random where in the mail queue
it fails (at least I don't see a pattern).

I ran tcpdump, and on two runs I noticed that just before the panic,
I'm sending out several duplicate acks in quick succession (within
milliseconds of each other).  I append the tail end of what tcpdump
managed to get to the disk before the crash, in case the prior
context is useful, but what I'm seeing immediately before before the
crash are transmitted packets of the form: ". ack 356 win 16384 (DF)",
the same sequence number each time, a short burst of those, maybe one
other packet logged on the console after those, and then it blows.

I may try an outgoing FTP session with no SMTP running, to see if it
happens just with any significant amount of outgoing traffic.

		Mark.

--
"Tigers will do ANYTHING for a tuna fish sandwich."
"We're kind of stupid that way."   *munch* *munch*