Date:      Sat, 9 Oct 1999 08:29:57 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Joss Roots <osiris2002@yahoo.com>
To:        Steve Doty <sdoty@jaxx.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Internet Connection Speed - Thanks for reply (WAS:SOMEONE Authoritative ...)

--- Steve Doty <sdoty@jaxx.net> wrote:

> I am not AUTHORITATIVE but anyone on this
> mailing list will need  a little
> more info from you.
OK, I only mean to keep away inexperienced people
from trying to answer this question because it is
already giving me the worste of times.
Thanks for reply.

>Yes there have been major
> changes from 2.2.6 - to 3.0.+
> . but all for the better.
> Did you recompile your kernel?

YES. my binaries & Kernel are synchronized.

>Whats your
> limits (type 'limits' in bash)
My limits, not neccesiraly under bash, are those
of default ROOT account, and they are plenty,

Basically , the limits are infinity
except for:
datasize: 524288 kb
stacksize: 65536 kb
max processes: 1619
openfiles: 3240

> like? How much ram do you have?
Although I dought it is the problem, cuz I am
getting Much faster downloads with heavily loaded
windows 98, and a lot of applications running.
but anyways I have 64 MB RAM. and I am running as
ROOT against advice of all people cuz I am the
only user on my machine and constantly
downloading sysadmin stuff and installing ports,
cvsups and stuff.

> What exact version of freebsd do you have (type
> 'dmesg')?

FreeBSD-4.0 Current

>How much memory do
> you have left after you load kde and your ppp
> connection (type 'top')?
Well you may have a very good point here,
I was shocked to find around 600 KB (yes KB) free
using top, cuz I had KDE running, netscape, 2
instances of unix cockpit, and handful of make
processes, but well that's what you are expected
to do with a BEAST like FreeBSD, anyways, I had
also 8 megs inactive, 35 megs active, and 92 megs
of free swap space, original size 250 megs of
swap.

Ok, Whats the recommendation, can I try to shut
down other processes and test, or anything
definite here ?

Thanks for your reply.

=====
MAY THE FORCE BE WITH YOU.