Date:      Mon, 28 Nov 2011 10:20:08 +0100
From:      Luigi Rizzo <rizzo@iet.unipi.it>
To:        freebsd-x11@freebsd.org
Subject:   suggested xorg-compatible video HW for FreeBSD/amd64 ?

Hi,
I am looking for suggestions for a video card that works with
some Xorg driver on FreeBSD/amd64 (either RELENG_9 or HEAD).
I am not interested in anything fancy, just plain 2d desktop
and video playback.

I have some new machines with i7-2600k CPU but the onboard
card is not recognised by the newer intel drivers, and the vesa
driver crashes as soon as i do something (such as changing
resolution to something different from 1024, or switching vtys, etc).
I understand that there is work in progress on the Intel side
but i will post a separate msg on the topic.

I can get some nvidia (GeForce: 210 or GT520) or ATI (Sapphire Radeon:
HD5450 or HD5570) but am unclear if/how they are supported. The
nvidia drivers on the nvidia page say there is only FreeBSD/x86 support,
and googling around doesn't give any good or encouraging suggestions.

Can anyone with xorg working on FreeBSD/amd64 share some info on his
configuration ?

thanks
luigi