Date:      Sun, 19 Nov 1995 15:20:58 +0100 (MET)
From:      grog@lemis.de (Greg Lehey)
To:        scrappy@hub.org (Marc G. Fournier)
Subject:   Re: Question (or complaint) about sup

Marc G. Fournier writes:

> 	Someone just told me about what sup is all about, and how to
> use it, and whatnot...but it seems that some parts rely on other
> parts, some of which I'd rather not make use of...
>
> 	I know, kinda vague.  For example, /usr/src/lib/libncurses
> is 1.8.6...from 1994.  I'm on the ncurses mailing list, and the
> ncurses I have on the system right now is 1.9.8 (1.9.7a + a bunch of
> patches).  I dont' want to do a 'make world' and have my ncurses
> replaced...
>
> 	...similar with sendmail and any other software that I've
> already got newer versions of installed...
>
> 	I don't assume that make world is smart enough to know the
> difference in version numbers, or anything like that, so assume that
> it will wipe out all I've brought over in favor of what it thinks is
> the "new stuff"?

Well, sup doesn't give you the latest stuff unless you ask for it.  It
all depends on what you check out with CVS.

I still have a problem, though.  make world does too much: it removes
everything I had there before, and it *installs* it on the machine.
What we need is a target that doesn't do either of them.  Also, it
relies on the current machine configuration.  For example, while
playing around yesterday I blew my /usr/lib/libc.so.2.2.  make world
makes the libraries first, so by the time it blew up it already had
its own, new /usr/src/lib/libc/obj/libc.so.2.2, but it wanted to use
the version in /usr/lib.  I think this is broken.

Greg