Date:      Sat, 23 Jan 1999 22:32:20 +1100 (EDT)
From:      Andrew MacIntyre <andymac@bullseye.apana.org.au>
To:        "Daniel M. Eischen" <deischen@iworks.interworks.org>
Cc:        rpj@fep.hirshfields.com, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Will FreeBSD *ever* fix their 2940U drivers ???????????????

On Fri, 22 Jan 1999, Daniel M. Eischen wrote:

> >     I believe I grabbed a copy of 2.2.8-(stable?) and 3.0-(stable?) as
> > of last summer sometime. It has been awhile. But yes I did try it
> > _at_ _that_ _time_.
>
> Well, as we've been trying to tell you, the problem most likely
> isn't caused by the aic7xxx driver, but by something else.

One issue that I've not seen raised in this thread so far is that of
the firmware revision level.  I remember previous discussions in which
particular revs of 2940 firmware are OK, but others are unstable.

If you have some cards that work, and some that don't, comparing the
firmware might be worth a shot.

As a counterpoint though, I've a system at work with Adaptec EISA
controllers built in (FreeBSD probes them as 2855s).  Debian 2.0r[12] boot
floppies crash with a register dump when trying to probe them, but both
FreeBSD 2.2.7 and Redhat 5.1 work fine.  Go figure....

E-mail: andrew.macintyre@aba.gov.au    (work) | Snail: PO Box 370
        andymac@bullseye.apana.org.au  (play) |        Belconnen  ACT  2616
Fido:   Andrew MacIntyre, 3:620/243.18        |        Australia