Date:      Tue, 21 May 2002 20:12:51 +0200
From:      Christophe Prevotaux <c.prevotaux@hexanet.fr>
To:        mark tinguely <tinguely@web.cs.ndsu.nodak.edu>
Cc:        atm@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: hfa0 PCA200E more informations [Help]

First of all , thank you for your answer.

On Tue, 21 May 2002 13:01:33 -0500 (CDT)
mark tinguely <tinguely@web.cs.ndsu.nodak.edu> wrote:

> I do not have much experience with this card, and it is frustrating
> to not have the ability to filter the packets at the device level.
>
> The thing that comes to mind is the possiblity of a transmission
> error at the SUNI (sonet user/network interface) or cable level.
> The SUNI not sending transmission complete interrupts would explain
> the full transmission queue. I would think a cabling problem would
> return more error in delievery errors.

I know this is not a cabling problem since extensive attenuation tests
have been performed on the fiber with very good results.

> The only thing I can think of saying is possibly having an interrupt
> counter(s) that could be read using "sysctl". When things start "backing up"
> in the transmission queue you can see if this counter is increasing.
> something like

Yes I agree however I think winter@jurai.net or you would have to give me
patch so I don't break things up while testing or trying to test the thing
because I am not a programmer unfortunately (as I previously stated :))

> static int foreintc = 0;
> SYSCTL_INT(_net_forehfa, OID_AUTO, foreintc, CTLFLAG_RD,
>     &foreintc, 0, "count of Fore Interrupts");
>
> somewhere in code that you want to count add:
> 	foreintc++;
>
> and on the command line something like follow would read the value:
>
> $ sysctl net.forefha.foreintc
>
> printf for each transmission interrupt would be too extreme.
>
> --mark.

Christophe Prevotaux        Email: c.prevotaux@hexanet.fr
HEXANET SARL                URL: http://www.hexanet.fr/
Z.A.C Les Charmilles        Tel: +33 (0)3 26 79 30 05
3 Allée Thierry Sabine      Direct: +33 (0)3 26 79 08 02
BP202                       Fax: +33 (0)3 26 79 30 06
51686 Reims Cedex 2
FRANCE                   HEXANET Network Operation Center