Date:      06 Jul 2002 21:30:06 -0400
From:      Joe Marcus Clarke <marcus@marcuscom.com>
To:        Alan E <alane@geeksrus.net>
Cc:        KDE FreeBSD List <kde-freebsd@lists.csociety.org>, FreeBSD Ports List <ports@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: kdemultimedia stomps on graphics/mpeg-lib's .so files

On Sat, 2002-07-06 at 21:18, Alan E wrote:
> Or the other way around depending on installation order.
>
> Both ports lay claim to /usr/local/lib/libmpeg.so. Now, this wouldn't be
> so bad except they aren't the *same* libmpeg.so.
>
> Gimp requires the libmpeg.so from mpeg-lib. So, the side effect of this
> is that Gimp can't build a plugin it wants to, and the packaging of Gimp
> then fails due to missing files.
>
> I'm not sure yet what a good solution is, but clearly it'll have to
> involve changing kdemultimedia3, as mpeg-lib can easily claim seniority.
>
> I wonder if we can move kdemultimedia's libmpeg.so to
> /usr/local/lib/kde3, and have things still work...
>
> I'd like to ignore this and say 'who cares' as much as anyone who
> doesn't really use Gnome for anything, but Gimp is an important

Hey! Some people use GNOME and KDE ;-).  I don't, but I care :-).

> (prominent and widely used) application and we have inadvertantly broken
> it. There may be other apps which also use mpeg-lib; I haven't grepped
> for it, yet.
>
> Comments, suggestions, whatever you got, please.

Something that has been done in the past is to rename the offending
library, then patch the dependents to use the name name (e.g. libiconv
--> libgiconv).  You could rename KDE's libmpeg to libkmpeg or
libkdempeg.  Just a thought.

Joe