Date:      Thu, 8 Aug 1996 04:17:14 -0700 (MST)
From:      Don Yuniskis <dgy@rtd.com>
To:        thomas@ghpc8.ihf.rwth-aachen.de (Thomas Gellekum)
Cc:        dgy@rtd.com, freebsd-ports@freefall.freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: acs patch

It seems that Thomas Gellekum said:
> Don Yuniskis wrote:
> >      The following patch applies to the 2.1R port of acs.  All it
> > does is move acs specific stuff into ${PREFIX}/lib/acs, copy the
> > supplied examples into the ./examples subdirectory thereof and
> > create a nominal acs.rc file in a *predefined* location (instead of
> > somewhere in $PATH).
>
> The current port is at version 0.21. The help file is already moved
> into ${PREFIX}/share/misc; acs looks for acs.rc in the same directory.
> However, installing the examples sounds quite reasonable. I'd prefer a
> path like ${PREFIX}/share/acs, though.

Fine.  I won't argue!  :>  The changes for locating acs.rc (in a *fixed*
place instead of anywhere along your PATH) will pretty much drop into
0.21 -- though support for this feature (?) could become a religious
issue and it's not that important to me (I just like "SYSTEMWIDE"
files -- acs.rc -- to be in a fixed location and let "USERSPECIFIC"
files -- ~/.acsrc -- allow for user specific customization).  I
also removed the ``cmdproc("clear")'' from the startup initialization
code in MY version (though didn't include this in the diff).  This
allows acs.rc and ~/.acsrc to define models that can be "inherited"
by users  (seemed like a reasonable capability to have in an rc file!)

I thought the sample acs.rc was also worthwhile (even though all
of the entries I used merely reflect the existing defaults!) since
it shows the format, etc.  (I damn near pulled my hair out
trying to figure out how to get "set foo ...." type commands to
work in the rc files!)

--don