Date:      Fri, 05 Jul 1996 12:02:16 -0700
From:      erich@uruk.org
To:        Peter Wemm <peter@spinner.dialix.com>
Cc:        freebsd-smp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Running SMP

Peter Wemm <peter@spinner.dialix.com> writes:

> Yes, the FreeBSD 'make -j' does nothing much.  I (and so does phk) use the
> NetBSD make, which truely does run parallel jobs.  However, the NetBSD
> make is no longer compatable with our Makefile tree since Jordan changed
> the obj dir stuff...  it can only be used on the kernel now....
>
> If you use that, and set COPTS="-O -pipe" in /etc/make.conf, and use
> somewhere around 'make -j3', you should see up to 180% or so of the speed
> of the single-job make on a SMP kernel.
>
> However, the single-job SMP kernel runs things slower than non-smp
> (probably because of the scheduling, which is partly worked around in the
> code that I have on my checked out copy of the source).  'make -j3' was
> between 130% and 150% of the speed of the uniprocessor, generic kernel
> though, even with our bogus scheduling.

Well, I don't have easy access to the NetBSD make, so since GNU make is
used on so many things, I grabbed GCC and GNU make, then tried compiling
GCC.

SMP 1 CPU :  gmake       :  6:43
             gmake -j 2  :  5:23

After I activated the second CPU, the system becomes fairly unstable.
Each time I ran "gmake", I had at least one "Memory fault: core dump" for
some program, and it would always crash the system by locking up hard
when it tried to run GCC's "enquire" program.

--
  Erich Stefan Boleyn                 \_ E-mail (preferred):  <erich@uruk.org>
Mad Genius wanna-be, CyberMuffin        \__      (finger me for other stats)