Date:      Mon, 26 Mar 2001 17:15:00 +0200
From:      Thomas Stratmann <thomas.stratmann@ruhr-uni-bochum.de>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   X <-> syscons problems

Hi everyone,

I am having problems with X which seem to be related to another, similar
to others on the list. Here's my list of symptoms:

- Starting wdm at startup:
I have wdm (with path) as the only command in my /etc/rc.local. After
startup, I have no keyboard, except:
the three lights work, switching to the eight tty's does not work but
gives a beep except on ctrl-alt-2, which does nothing. ctrl-alt-delete
will softly reboot the machine.

So I deleted the wdm line in rc.local and run wdm out of the console
after startup. This is the case for the following.

- Killing X remotely (via ssh, su'ing to root):
 * when inside X/wdm:
   + (using kill -9 <pid>) will kill X, restart X, wdm comes up.
Keyboard seems to behave normally, but all tty's have blank (black)
screens. ctrl-alt-delete does not reboot the machine, I have to use the
wdm menus.
   + (using kill <pid>) works normally, see next point.
 * when on the console:
   + killing X (both ways) will restart X and wdm, everything seems
fine.

I hope this is of worth for tracking problems. I will send you
configuration files upon request, if I find the time I might as well do
some further "testing-sequence".

I believe rc.local is the right place to start wdm at startup, any
better ideas? I would like to have wdm start after boot in the future,
because I work on a machine which is also used by less experienced
users.

Cheers
Thomas Stratmann