Date:      Thu, 12 Sep 2002 23:48:58 +0200
From:      Marco van Tol <bsd-mobile@tols.org>
To:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: More on T30 and 1440x1050 dispaly w/ ATI Radeon chip

On Thu, Sep 12, 2002 at 02:31:00PM -0700, Kevin Oberman wrote:
> I have continued to examine the behavior of my IBM T30 with a
> 1440x1050 display and the ATI Mobility M7 (LW) video chip set.
>
> A quick warning: Be very careful about plugging in a second monitor to
> the unit! I did do and the unit decided that it would only run at
> 1280x1024 resolution and would start with about a half inch of video
> at the bottom of the screen.
>
> If I used the Fn-F7 to switch between displays I learned that the
> display came up fine on the second monitor and, when switched back to
> the LCD screen, it would display properly, except that the resolution
> was reduced to 1280x1024.
>
> I then shut down and unplugged the external monitor. When I rebooted,
> everything was fine and I had 1440x1050 again.
>
> This behavior is very weird to me. I was hoping to get the second
> monitor to run Xinerama, but now I'm unsure that I can do much of
> anything with it.

I have seen something, not the same, but similar on my Asus L3800S laptop,
which I am guessing has the same ATI chip. (RADEON 7500 M)

In my case, when I want to view a DVD via the TV out on my television (PAL
standard), I can do the following:
- Switch to 1024x768 or lower. (With the virtual desktop still at 1440x1050)
- Hit Fn+F8 (F8 in my case)

At this point, the DVD output (when in full screen on the laptop) will
appear in good shape in my TV. It is not possible however to get the display
back at the LCD.

If I exit X, the display does come back to the LCD screen, but:
- On the TV, a really garbled console is displayed.
- On the LCD the left half of the screen is fine, the right half looks like
  it's scrolling that part of the screen, but _real_ fast.

A reboot fixes this.

I did not bother to ask about this earlier on this list, but figured it was
relevant in the context of the above post.

Basically this e-mail is an FYI, I am not really bothered by this behaviour
as I usually watch DVD's on my TV in one go! ;-)

I am willing to perform tests if that would be helpfull for people however.

Marco van Tol

P.S.
Under the Big Bad Redmond OS, while switching screens a little lightblue
square is displayed in the upper left corner of my screen, indicating the
mode it is about to switch to. This does not happen under X.

Also, the full cycle when I keep hitting Fn+F8 is
'LCD -> LCD + TV-Out -> TV-Out only'.

I did _not_ connect the secondary VGA connector to a monitor yet. (God
forbid it's broken, because I'll be late for reporting it to the shop I
baught the laptop from.... ;-)

--
Marco van Tol [mailto:bsd-mobile@tols.org] [http://www.tols.org]