Date:      Tue, 7 Aug 2001 12:59:36 -0400
From:      Garance A Drosihn <drosih@rpi.edu>
To:        Mike Smith <msmith@FreeBSD.ORG>, tlambert2@mindspring.com
Cc:        Matt Dillon <dillon@earth.backplane.com>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Allocate a page at interrupt time

At 12:39 AM -0700 8/7/01, Mike Smith wrote:
>  > It also has the unfortunate property of locking us into virtual
>>  wire mode, when in fact Microsoft demonstrated that wiring down
>>  interrupts to particular CPUs was good practice, in terms of
>>  assuring best performance.  Specifically, running in virtual
>>  wire mode means that all your CPUs get hit with the interrupt,
>>  whereas running with the interrupt bound to a particular CPU
>>  reduces the overall overhead.  Even what we have today, with
>>  the big giant lock and redirecting interrupts to "the CPU in
>>  the kernel" is better than that...
>
>Terry, this is *total* garbage.
>
>Just so you know, ok?

There are people on this list besides Terry.  Terry has taken
the time to refer to a few URL's, and remind us of a benchmark
that I (for one) do remember, and I do remember Windows doing
quite well on it.  Maybe that benchmark was bogus for some
reason, but I seem to remember several freebsd developers taking
it seriously at the time.

So, could you at least fill in what part of the above is total
garbage?  Throw in a few insults to Terry if it makes you feel
better for some reason, but raise the level of information
content a little for the rest of us?  You quoted several
distinct comments of Terry's -- were all of them garbage?

It might very well be that all of Terry's comments were in fact
garbage, but from the sidelines I'd appreciate a little more
in the way of technical details.