Date:      Tue, 29 Aug 2006 22:26:05 +0300
From:      "Joel V." <joel@starman.ee>
To:        <freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org>
Subject:   freebsd 4.8 "blacking out" like crazy - hardware problem?

Hello everyone.

So, we have a little freebsd 4.8-p27 box running in the office (samba,
apache, qmail, proftpd, sshd). Machine is fine enough for the task, P4 2.4,
512 RAM, 120 GB HDD. First time the problems started 2-3 months ago. Machine
was restarting all the time, sometimes 2-3 times a day. The thing is that it
did it so fast nobody in the office actually noticed anything in the office,
which in itself is quite weird. Because the weather was quite hot then I
thought one reason could be overheating. Not so, because a couple of days
ago the same thing started again. Runs fine for a dew days, then restarts 3
times in a row.

The logs don't say anything besides the fact that you see the machine has
restarted.

The server has run for a long time without any problems. I've tested the
memory with memtest86. Next thing I'm going to try is changing the power
supply. Has anybody experienced something like this with FreeBSD? Problems
just appearing out of thin air and then disappearing for a good time and so
on. I'd like to know what the hell is going on.

And oh yes, last week I had some weird network problems as well. Couple of
computers in the office couldn't send mail at all, just kept timing out. I
couldn't connect to the server via ssh, because it timed out (password
prompt didn't appear). I had to connect to an outside freebsd server and
then to the server in the office. At the same time samba and ftp connections
were working fine. Tried changing the switch, that didn't help either. And
then, just as I was about to spray it with gasoline and set it on fire, the
problems all went away and everything was working again. Could those network
issues be related to the troubles I'm facing now?

I'm not subscribed to the list, so if anybody can help me out, please reply
to me at joel@starman.ee. Thank you very much!