Date:      Tue, 4 Dec 2001 16:30:46 -0800 (PST)
From:      Brady Montz <bradym@mail.hydrologue.com>
To:        FreeBSD-Stable@mail.hydrologue.com, <stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: 4.4-STABLE crashes - suspects new ata-driver over wd-driver

Morsal Roudbay <morsal@swipnet.se> writes:

> On Sat, Dec 01, 2001 at 02:45:18AM -0500, Chris BeHanna wrote:
> > On Fri, 30 Nov 2001, Morsal Roudbay wrote:
> >
> > > Yes.. the PSU is a 300W unit made by AOpen... the server works
> > > flawless as long as I dont use the IDE drives too heavily. It
> > > only crashes when I do heavy IO on the IDE drives... for
> > > isntance ports (/usr/ports is on a IDE drive) as I mentioned
> > > earlier.
> >
> >     Upgrade your power supply.  Under heavy loads, some power supplies
> > cannot maintain the correct voltage for the CPU.  300W is marginal for
> > many modern systems.
> >
> >     Antec is a very good brand.  A 400W unit will set you back about
> > $100 US, but could save you lots of headaches.
>
> I have now verified that it isnt my powersupply. It is perfectly healthy so
> it must be the ATA driver that crashes the computer.

I've been recently noticing the same thing with my machine. I don't
have the specs handy since I'm at work, but I am using IDE drives.
The trouble started last week, using a 4.4-STABLE kernel built on Nov 3.
I reinstalled world yesterday from the latest 4.4-STABLE,
and it hasn't gotten better.

For me, it only happens during heavy disk access, such as when backing
up my hard drive to a huge tar file, or when doing build or clean. My
machine will either lock up or reboot. I haven't seen any messages in
any of my log files. The MTBF under such load (like portupgrade mozilla) seems
to be about an hour or so.

Other data poiints: I ran memtest86 overnight, and it didn't find any
memory errors, and tripwire hasn't noticed any filesystem corruption.

--
 Brady Montz
 bradym@balestra.org