Date:      Sun, 25 Feb 96 20:06 WET
From:      uhclem@nemesis.lonestar.org (Frank Durda IV)
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Either an xcdplayer or matcd problem...

[0]Using xcdplayer to listen to CDs via the matcd driver:
[0]
[0]If I use ``-device /dev/matcd0c'', when I press the eject button after a CD
[0]finishes I get repeated "Device not configured" errors until I either
[0]terminate xcdplayer or put a new cd in.  If I use ``-device
[0]/dev/rmatcd0c'', I get repeated "ioctl(cdromreadtochdr): : Input/output
[0]error" errors.
[0]
[0]Is this a bug in xcdplayer or in the matcd driver?  It doesn't keep me from
[0]listening to my CDs; it's just annoying to have these messages pop up when
[0]I just want to change the CD.

You didn't mention what version of the system, but I am assuming 2.1R.
There are a couple of problems:

1.	Use /dev/rmatcd0a, not /dev/matcd0c.  Partition "c" is used only for
	reading raw 2352-byte blocks.  Unless you want the digital data
	from an audio CD, this device isn't particularly useful.

2.	xcdplayer continues to poll the device in question for status, and
	if you eject the media, it continues looking to see if the drive
	is ready yet.  Why xdcplayer gets mad that it receives an error
	here is beyond me, since it just put the drive in an error condition.

	If you use the raw device, the matcd driver will allow the open to
	appear to succeed even with the media absent, tray open, etc, and
	selected ioctls can be performed performed (like the close-the-tray
	ioctl).

	The non-raw device is strict about allowing access to the media if
	the the drive wasn't ready.

Using rmatcd0a with xcdplayer works for me (in 2.1R anyway).

Frank Durda IV <uhclem@nemesis.lonestar.org>|"The Knights who say "LETNi"
or uhclem%nemesis@rwsystr.nkn.net           | demand...  A SEGMENT REGISTER!!!"
					    |"A what?"
or ...letni!rwsys!nemesis!uhclem	    |"LETNi! LETNi! LETNi!"  - 1983