Date:      Mon, 17 Mar 1997 18:03:36 -0600
From:      "Jeffrey J. Mountin" <sysop@mixcom.com>
To:        Alastair Rankine <alastair@cia.com.au>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ppp -auto problem? on 2.1.5-RELEASE

At 09:43 AM 3/18/97 +1100, Alastair Rankine wrote:
>Me! Me! I know the answer!

To much coffee?

>Check your routed flags in /etc/sysconfig. I haven't got my machine in
>front of me, but there's a flag which stops it broadcasting it's routing
>information. The ppp link comes up in order to broadcast routing tables
>to your ISP (not that they probably care :).

We don't and an ISP should NEVER listen to a dial-in for routes.  No
broadcast or listen on dial-up ports here.

>>From memory the default routed flag is -s, change this to -q and you
>should be right. Read the man page to check my info.

Default is -q

>Alternatively don't run routed (gateway=NO).

When you make the connection it would be a good idea to set a default route
or accept the default router duing negotation.

Jeff Mountin - System/Network Administrator
jeff@mixcom.net

MIX Communications
Serving the Internet since 1990