Date:      Sun, 05 Aug 2001 22:07:22 -0400
From:      "Gary T. Corcoran" <garycor@home.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Hard error on IDE drive

I have a 37G IBM IDE drive which was not working when I powered up my
FreeBSD system after vacation.  Today I checked the IDE and power
connections, and it was again recognized by the Promise IDE controller.

But attempting to mount it told me the filesystem was dirty, and I
should run fsck.  I did that, and it found some 'hard error's on
2 (or 4, hard to tell) sectors.  At the end of fsck, it told me the
system was still dirty and to rerun fsck.  I did that, and it fixed
up some more filesystem things.  But it said to rerun fsck again.

I've done fsck 5 times now, and it's still says the filesystem is
'dirty', even though it has found no more errors except for the
'hard error's for the 2 (or 4) sectors.  I thought that with modern drives,
either A) the drive would remap the bad sector(s) upon a hard error,
and/or B), the fsck would mark the sectors as bad in the filesystem
and just not use them anymore (after I allowed it to remove the files
which were using those sectors).

I looked through the email archives for 'hard AND error' and found
NOTHING, and the fsck man page gave no clue, so I'm asking here:
how does one 'fix' this situation to let me use the drive again?
(I'm running FreeBSD 3.2 on that system, if that matters).
BTW, I *was* able to mount the drive read-only, so at least I can
access my files.  But with 35GB of files, backed up only by scattered
directories on hundreds of CDR's, I do NOT want to 'newfs' the partition
and spend weeks restoring my files.  One of the fsck runs told me which
files were lost due to the sector errors, and luckily they were not
important.  I just want to be able to use the drive as-is, minus the
errored sectors.  How do I do that?

Thanks,
Gary