Date:      Fri, 09 Oct 1998 09:23:36 -0700
From:      Graeme Tait <graeme@echidna.com>
To:        Paul Saab <paul@mu.org>
Cc:        Palle Girgensohn <girgen@partitur.se>, freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: web site search engines for FreeBSD server?

Paul Saab wrote:

> have you looked at ht://dig? (http://www.htdig.org/)

No, and it may be interesting for some things. Does it run under FreeBSD?

However, some of my applications may not fit it. They involve indexing large numbers
of files (hundreds of thousands). All the files reside on the machine that does the
indexing. Glimpse does a good job of this, building compact indices from the
filesystem level (i.e., the webserver is not involved), and providing fast searches.
Large individual files are handled also. As I said below the downside is license
fees, plus (as the original poster mentioned) a restricted character set.

<snip>

--
Graeme Tait - Echidna