Date:      Fri, 5 Mar 1999 19:08:35 -0600
From:      Alan Weber <aaweber@austin.rr.com>
To:        Shawn Leas <sleas@ixion.honeywell.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Loadlin style bootloader?

On Fri, Mar 05, 1999 at 03:06:24AM -0600, Shawn Leas wrote:
--> On Thu, Mar 04, 1999 at 09:05:30PM -0600, Nathan Ahlstrom wrote:
--> > Shawn Leas <sleas@ixion.honeywell.com> wrote:
--> > > I guess only one thing's stopping me. I need to be able to
--> > > leave my MBR untouched. (Work PC)
--> > >
--> > > Is there any way to do that?
--> >
--> > I believe that leaving the MBR untouched is an option presented by
--> > sysinstall.
-->
--> Only problem is booting at all, then. Any bootmgr screen will
--> confuse the yokals enough that they'll wipe all my hard work
--> off the hd.
-->
--> This is why loadlin is so nice.

Use the ultimate stealth multiboot program, FDISK. Just set the partition you
want to boot to active and reboot the computer. Your coworkers will never see
any evidence of another operating system. You coworkers could still rescue
the garbage partiton for you and return it to service for windows wiping
out your freebsd partition. Your other alternative boot option is to come boot
from a floppy.

It seems to me that you are trying to circumvent an unauthorized software
regulation. Any yokel that could reinstall windows would not be confused by
a boot manager.

--
When I was a kid I had to rub sticks together to multiply and divide numbers.
A calculator was a job description.