Date:      Sun, 24 Jun 2001 18:10:07 +0200
From:      "Karsten W. Rohrbach" <karsten@rohrbach.de>
To:        Dag-Erling Smorgrav <des@ofug.org>
Cc:        Soren Kristensen <soren@soekris.com>, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Status of encryption hardware support in FreeBSD

--PuGuTyElPB9bOcsM

Dag-Erling Smorgrav(des@ofug.org)@2001.06.24 17:48:47 +0000:
> Soren Kristensen <soren@soekris.com> writes:
> > As I now has prototypes avaliable of low cost PCI and MiniPCI boards,
> > moving to production in a couple of weeks, I would like to check up on
> > the work, as I would really like to see FreeBSD support. The boards are
> > now supported in OpenBSD 2.9.
>=20
> OK, so if I understand correctly, the encryption hardware in question
> offers a high-speed hardware implementation of the encryption
> algorithms used by IPSec, so it's a matter of a) having support code
> that interfaces with the hardware, possibly with a device interface to
> allow userland apps access to the encryption hardware and b) making
> our (well, KAME's) IPSec code use that instead of doing the encryption
> in software.  Is that it, or did I misunderstand something?

i think ipsec crypto abstraction into hardware is one side of the medal,
but the other side -- to be polished first -- ist getting openssl onto
the iron. for my former employer i had my hands on rainbow crupto
hardware. it is a pci card called cryptoswift with a number, indicating
the amount of ssl handshakes per second. the company has been renamed to
ivea (http://www.ivea.com/). i came across this board since it is used
in several "appliance" style boxes such as the intel netsctructure ssl
accelerators (drop-in https->http ethernet bridge). they had working
support and drivers for 3.x, developed in-house and i started hacking up
the code for 4.x, but then i left the company (had to leave the hardware
there, of course).

as far as i got, my experience with ssl handshake processing in hardware
showed me a great improvement, since openssl plugs in the hardware to
create random and to create session keys. stream crypto is spoken on the
host, but this is done fast and very effieciently. if you offload the
handshakes to the iron, most of you sysload goes away, of course.

i did not find another vendor in europe that provides a similar chip on
a pci card, doing the stuff on the iron on a very high level (the card
speaks x.50x ascii armored certificates natively, as far as i could see.

it would be interesting if somebody from the u.s. could join in and
present a list of available hardware and corresponding vendor. if there
is hardware available from a crypto-relaxed country, such as south
africa or similar, this would also be _very_ interesting, IMHO.

>=20
> Now, if you want FreeBSD support for your hardware, all you have to do
> is find a willing developer <whistles innocently>, send him a sample
> board (or preferably two, for a full circuit, but one will do) with
> complete documentation and any additional resources you are willing
> and able to provide, and then wait a bit.  Simply asking for someone
> to port the OpenBSD driver will not do - OpenBSD and FreeBSD are not
> very similar at the kernel level, and as others have stated before in
> a different context, driver source does not constitute adequate
> documentation.  It helps, but it's neither sufficient nor necessary.

as i said, there is a 3.x freebsd driver, would this help?
i am not into writing drivers ;-)

/k

--=20
> Sex is one of the nine reasons for reincarnation ... the other eight
> are unimportant.  --Henry Miller
KR433/KR11-RIPE -- WebMonster Community Founder -- nGENn GmbH Senior Techie
http://www.webmonster.de/ -- ftp://ftp.webmonster.de/ -- http://www.ngenn.n=
et/
karsten&rohrbach.de -- alpha&ngenn.net -- alpha&scene.org -- catch@spam.de
GnuPG 0x2964BF46 2001-03-15 42F9 9FFF 50D4 2F38 DBEE  DF22 3340 4F4E 2964 B=
F46
Please do not remove my address from To: and Cc: fields in mailing lists. 1=
0x

--PuGuTyElPB9bOcsM

--PuGuTyElPB9bOcsM--