Date:      Sat, 23 Jan 1999 13:59:08 -0500 (EST)
From:      Toby Swanson <toby@milkyway.org>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   2 NICs in 1 FBSD host on same subnet

Greetings,

I want to put 2 Intel EtherExpress Pro 100 network interface cards (NICs)
in my FreeBSD host, which acts as a gateway for a small LAN to the
internet via user ppp.  One NIC will be wired to a 10/100 half duplex (HD)
hub to service other hosts on the LAN.  The other NIC will be wired via a
crossover cable to another host on the same subnet, thus providing a full
duplex (FD), 100Mbps connection, without the expense of a switch.  I have
seen numerous writeups of doing this as a bridge to another subnet, but
none to a host on the same subnet.

Desired configuration:

 __  100Mbs/FD __ 100Mbs/HD __ 10 or 100Mbs/HD
|  |----------|  |---------|  |--------------->
|__|      fxp0|__|fxp1     |__|--------------->
W95 host  FreeBSD host     Hub      Other hosts

I have attempted a similar setup with an Intel EtherExpress and an NE 2000
compatable NIC.

 __  100Mbs/FD __ 10Mbs/HD  __ 10 or 100Mbs/HD
|  |----------|  |---------|  |--------------->
|__|      fxp0|__|ed0      |__|--------------->
W95 host  FreeBSD host      Hub      Other hosts

This met with limited success.  The problem was only the first NIC to be
ifconfig'ed could be used.  An attempt to ping the second NIC from the
FreeBSD host resulted in the message, "arpresolv: can't allocate llinfo
for www.xxx.yyy.zzz".  I could ping whichever NIC was ifconfig'ed first,
but not the second.  An attempt to ping the second NIC from another host
would hang.

I have a basic understanding of networks, how to use the route and
ifconfig commands, subnetting and such, but lack the detailed knowledge
(obviously) to make this work, if it is possible.  I would buy a different
NIC if the kernel will not support 2 NICs of the same type.  Can someone
help me or direct me to a source of info?  I'll gladly provide any info
you need about my network and hosts.

Thanks,

Toby