Date:      Mon, 13 Mar 1995 17:40:45 -0800 (PST)
From:      Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@ref.tfs.com>
To:        davidg@Root.COM
Cc:        kargl@troutmask.apl.washington.edu, freebsd-hackers@freefall.cdrom.com
Subject:   Re: install compressed binary patch

>    The gzip binary idea was added so that we could fit more on the install
> floppies. I don't recall anyone ever suggesting that you might want to use
> this to compress your system binaries to save hard disk space. This doesn't
> seem very wise to me.
>    The only reason I've said anything at all about this is that I'm concerned
> about the potential for future bugs reports from people that don't understand
> the ramifications involved with using gziped binaries.

Well, >I< have said something about using them to save space.

On my 130Mb handbook, I saved close to 7 mb by compressing things like
troff and perl, which are not used too often, but too good to throw away.

But yes, you need to understand the ramifications...

--
Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@login.dknet.dk> -- TRW Financial Systems, Inc.
'All relevant people are pertinent' && 'All rude people are impertinent'