Date:      Sat, 11 Aug 2001 12:24:24 -0700
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        mjacob@feral.com
Cc:        "David O'Brien" <obrien@FreeBSD.ORG>, Andrew Gallatin <gallatin@cs.duke.edu>, freebsd-alpha@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: AlphaServer 4100 boot/install problem

Matthew Jacob wrote:
> Well, as far as I read Wilko's mail, it seemed like it was an open
> question as to whether it was a correctly constituted CDROM. Perhaps
> I'm confused. I usually am.

He was unable to boot from CDROM.

He mounted the CDROM, copied the kernel off, and was able to
boot it on a machine from the hard drive; therefore:

o	The bits on the CDROM are OK
o	The kernel is OK

This leaves:

o	The loader is borked
o	The CDROM drive is incompatible with his hardware for
	booting
o	The sector size is wrong for his boot code (2048 vs.
	512) and CDROM jumper settings
o	Unknown possibility #6

He's verified that the last two are not the case by trying a
different drive on a different machine, and by trying a bootable
disk (not FreeBSD) on the machine.

This leaves only:

o	The loader is borked
o	Unknown possibility #6

Barring evidence or supposition for the latter, it seems to be
the former.  8-).

> I've set a make release going. When I get back on Monday, I'll try
> and make a CD image from the result, if that worked.

Cool; personally, I don't have that many spare coasters to burn
lying around, and just my laptop to burn them, so I've been a
bit hesitant to jump into the forever it takes to build a release
for my Alpha, since cross-build installation still doesn't work,
and I can't use any of my really fast machines.

-- Terry