Date:      Sat, 6 Jul 2002 21:35:57 -0400
From:      Alan E <alane@geeksrus.net>
To:        Joe Marcus Clarke <marcus@marcuscom.com>
Cc:        KDE FreeBSD List <kde-freebsd@lists.csociety.org>, FreeBSD Ports List <ports@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: [kde-freebsd] Re: kdemultimedia stomps on graphics/mpeg-lib's .so files

On Sat, Jul 06, 2002 at 09:30:06PM -0400, Joe Marcus Clarke wrote:
>On Sat, 2002-07-06 at 21:18, Alan E wrote:

>Something that has been done in the past is to rename the offending
>library, then patch the dependents to use the name name (e.g. libiconv
>--> libgiconv).  You could rename KDE's libmpeg to libkmpeg or
>libkdempeg.  Just a thought.

That seems like a reasonable solution. How hard to do, I don't know,
because other kde ports may link against it. It might be simple, and and
it might affect several other ports (<diety/> forbid it hits all the
i18n ports, for a pathological example).

OTOH, it is used by nothing but gimp1 and gimp-devel, so we could force
them to link it statically (which is the *right* lib). Not really much
of a solution, though, is it?
--
AlanE