Date:      Sun, 11 Jan 1998 19:06:53 +0800
From:      Peter Wemm <peter@netplex.com.au>
To:        "John S. Dyson" <toor@dyson.iquest.net>
Cc:        freebsd-bugs@hub.FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: kern/5467: unlink() leaves unrefed files on file sytem

"John S. Dyson" wrote:
>  Christopher T. Johnson said:
>  > >Number:         5467
>  > >Category:       kern
>  > >Synopsis:       unlink() leaves unrefed files on file sytem

>  This is a known problem in current as of the date that you have noted.  It i
>  better now, but I suggest re-supping and trying again on 13 Jan 98.  (I have
>  fixes in my local tree, and will be committing them tomorrow.)

You are not wrong! :-]  I just ran into this (and other problems - syscons
is screwed at the moment!) a short while ago.  I found that if I do a
'reboot', the system will perform heavy disk activity for about three
minutes *after* the 'Syncing disks.. done', and apon eventual reboot, the
filesystems are clean, all the space has come back etc.

'sync; fsck -n /usr' reported something like a couple of thousand
unreferenced files before reboot, and /usr was at 106% full.  After the
disk activity at reboot, and after booting into single-user and doing a
'mount -r /usr' and a df, the space was back to normal - before any fsck
etc.

I did a 'pstat -v' before the shutdown and it reported something like
17,000 vnodes with flags 'V', HOLD = 1, USE = 0.  I checked a handful of
inodes that fsck -n reckoned were unreferenced, and sure enough they were
on the list in that state.

Cheers,
-Peter