Date:      Tue, 14 May 1996 21:04:21 +-200
From:      H Nalen <h.nalen@mbox300.swipnet.se>
To:        "'www@freebsd.org'" <www@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Hello,

Hi,
I've needed help about DMA and searched the Web and found a good article =
at your site.=20

I'm working with electronics and I have a app. that is rather =
time-critical (if you know what I mean). I have a fast AD that need to =
be served at a high rate, i.e store the data in realtime. I belive the =
only way is to do it with DMA. I've using Intels 386-EX as CPU =
(embedded) that has 2 DMA-channels. The AD need to store a 16 bits =
parallell data at a rate of 5 us (up to 8 Mb).
=20
What operating mode do YOU suggest? Single, chained? Do you think the =
CPU and the other software "feels" this DMA-transfer?=20

One more question, the DRAM-refresh. Do it need much bustime? The DRAM =
need refresh every 16ms and I wounder how much bus-time the refresh =
takes? (Would the DMA-transfer been destroyed or delayed so the data =
could not be saved correct?)

I would be grateful if anyone could answer this few questions. If you =
can't, can you tell me someone that can help me with this?

regards'
Haekan Nalen, Raettvik, Sweden
e-mail: h.nalen@mbox300.swipnet.se