Date:      18 Aug 1997 07:41:50 -0500
From:      stephen farrell <sfarrell@healthquiz.com>
To:        Alfred Perlstein <perlsta@sunyit.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: The low priority items

Alfred Perlstein <perlsta@sunyit.edu> writes:

> I'm just about totalyly sure that freebsd supports two kinds of threads,
> native and "pthreads" (which i think are posix threads) i could be wrong.

pthreads are a user-space thread library which multiplexes all of the
threads into a single process (and hence cannot take advantage of
smp).  They conform to posix threads standard.  recently freebsd has
acquired a native threads package which is known as a hybrid threading
package--it muliplexes user-space threads across _multiple_
processes--typically 1 per cpu--to take advantage of smp. freebsd
native threads _also_ have a posix-conformant api.

last I heard john dyson was writing the package... but i'd be
interested in further status information myself.