Date:      Mon, 7 May 2001 15:44:56 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Doug Russell <drussell@saturn-tech.com>
To:        Jonathan Belson <jon@witchspace.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Lockups with -Stable on Athlon

On Mon, 7 May 2001, Jonathan Belson wrote:

> I recently upgraded my machine to a 1.2GHz Athlon on
> a ABit KT7A motherboard, with 256MB RAM.
>
> Unfortunately I've started been experiencing a number
> of complete lock-ups when running FreeBSD (X3.3.6 +
> KDE 2.1.1) - it abruptly freezes, I can't even ping
> the machine.  Nothing in the logfiles gives any hints.
>
> Since it started happening a little while after I did
> the hardware upgrade I did wonder if it was hardware
> related, but the other OSes (Windows 2000 and BeOS 5)
> have had no problems at all.
>
> Has anyone experienced anything similar?

Try different memory.  Most crashing problems on many Athlon machines
seems to be caused by memory that may work fine in some other machine at
PC133, but will crash at 133MHz in the Athlon.  You can also try setting
your memory speed to 100 MHz.

The fact that other OSes don't crash means NOTHING.
They don't push your machine anywhere near as hard as FreeBSD can.
An extra clock cycle added in some specific access is all the extra delay
you need to never see this type of problem.

Later......						<Doug>