Date:      Sun, 17 Jul 2005 21:38:58 -0500
From:      Billy Newsom <smartweb@leadhill.net>
To:        stefan@aeschbacher.ch, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: rc.d ppp dependency

stefan@aeschbacher.ch wrote:
> Hi
> when using ppp together with pf there seems to exist a dependency problem.
> I start ppp and pf with : ppp_enable="YES" and pf_enable="YES" in rc.conf.
>
> At startup when the pf rulefile is loaded, the tun0 (which I use in the pf
> config) device does not yet exist and therefore the rules can not load.
>
> I noticed that in /etc/rc.d/ppp-user, ipfilter is resynced after ppp has
> started. Shouldn't the same be done for pf?
>
> thanks
>
> Stefan
>
> P.S. a similar problem exists with sshd when a ListenAddress directive is
> used with an address configured to tun0

Attn: I have been trying to get the same exact problem dealt with for
ipnat and renaming interfaces.

It appears that under FreeBSD 5-Stable, that although we are welcome to
rename a network interface (like fxp0) to whatever we want (say out0),
there seems to be a problem with the order in which things happen at
boot.  RENAMING happens after the ipnat has started, and so I feel that
we need to re-sync ipnat after the renaming occurs.  Otherwise, ipnat
seems to have the old interface names, and ipnat will not work.

Notice that in the rcorder of things, we see this (I skipped a bunch for
brevity):

ipfilter
ipmon
ipnat
ipfs
netif	(interface renaming occurs; resync of ipfilter)
isdnd
ppp-user
ipfw
dhclient
nsswitch
ip6addrctl
atm2
routing
ip6fw
network_ipv6
mroute6d
route6d
mrouted
routed
NETWORKING
pflog
pf
pppoed
localpkg
natd

What I see is that we need an IF-THEN-ELSE statement in the rcorder
system someplace, that can notify pf if ppp is being used, and that will
force ipnat to reload, etc.  The ppp-user file, as you say, might need
to reload pf if necessary.  A simple patch could be thought up and
attached here, huh?

Can you post some of these comments as a bug (PR) to the FreeBSD system?
  I have one that could probably be fixed if my patch is used.

See my related PR at http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=kern/81606

You might refer to PR 81606 as potentially being a similar issue with
rcng.  These thigns are slowly coming to light.  rcng has got a lot of
little tweaks it needs, especially if we start to let ports interact
with the system rcng files.

Billy