Date:      Tue, 4 Sep 2001 03:25:32 -0700
From:      murray@stokely.org
To:        freebsd-doc@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   TeX experts on this list?

--Nq2Wo0NMKNjxTN9z

  For anyone who has played with the print output recently, you may
have noticed that we experimented briefly with turning on
justification and hyphenation by default.  This makes the output look
much better but unfortunately TeX doesn't know how to hyphenate the
weird words that make up pathnames or URLs so these can occasionally
overflow into the right margin looking very bad.

  There is a solution to this problem, with the url and path TeX
packages.  These can be loaded through jadetex.cnf or some similar
mechanism and then our DSSSL stylesheets can be modified with
something similar to : (a patch found on the docbook sourceforge site)
:

  (if (equal? tex-backend #t)
       ((define ($url$ url)
        (make formatting-instruction data: (string-append "(\\url{"
       url "})")))

      (define ($filename$ file)
       (make formatting-instruction data: (string-append "\\file{"
       file "}")))
     ))

  This will make the URLs look something like
\url{http://www.FreeBSD.org} where presumably they are handled much
better in some way.

  The problem is that I'm not very TeX literate.  Has anyone worked
with these packages before?  JadeTeX doesn't even seem to be looking
at my jadetex.cnf file and if it does then I've probably used the
wrong syntax for loading packages.  I've written up some equations in
LaTeX but I don't have the necessary low level TeX-foo to finish up
this support without spending a huge amount of time in the process.
Is anyone familiar with TeX enough to look into this?

	- Murray

(In the mean time I'm reading a couple of long online TeX references
and waiting for my copy of the TeXbook to arrive)

--Nq2Wo0NMKNjxTN9z

--Nq2Wo0NMKNjxTN9z--