Date:      Fri, 7 Jul 2000 08:32:45 -0700
From:      "Crist J. Clark" <cristjc@earthlink.net>
To:        Simon Roockley <simonr@forward-comp.co.uk>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Bridging

On Fri, Jul 07, 2000 at 10:33:00AM +0100, Simon Roockley wrote:
> I am trying to set up bridging on a FreeBSD 4.0 machine.
>
> option BRIDGE has been added to the kernal config

New kernel built and installed after the change, right?

> net.link.ether.bridge=1 added to the /etc/sysctl.conf file
>
> On one end of the bridge (ep0) are devices with address XXX.XXX.0.XXX
> netmask 255.255.0.0
> and on the other end of the bridge (ep1) are devices with the ip address of
> XXX.XXX.50.XXX netmask 255.255.255.0

If you are bridging, forget about netmasks, they are meaningless. One
thing I like to do to help me "think right" about the bridge (and not
think routing) is to only put an IP address on one of the interfaces.

> If either ep0 or ep1 are given address of XXX.XXX.50.XXX devices on both
> sides can ping and telnet to that
> address but not each other.
>
> Am I missing out anything obvious ?

Are the clients on either side of the bridge configured properly? From
the limited information you provided, it looks like all of the client
machines should have a netmask of 0xffff0000, and the clients all have
the correct default gateway which is _not_ the bridge, right?