Date:      Fri, 30 Aug 1996 10:53:14 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@glue.umd.edu>
To:        John Fieber <jfieber@indiana.edu>
Cc:        Satoshi Asami <asami@FreeBSD.ORG>, jkh@time.cdrom.com, freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Should this port go in ?

On Fri, 30 Aug 1996, John Fieber wrote:

> On Thu, 29 Aug 1996, Chuck Robey wrote:
>
> > I thought about adding some cpp structure to a PLIST, specifically the
> > ability to do defines and ifdefs.  This would allow the PLIST to change
> > dynamically, depending on variables that existed at the time of package
> > creation.  On unpacking, though, the variables could be different than
> > when the package was created.
>
> Just the other day, as I was dealing with a PLIST that didn't
> match what actually got installed, I was thinking that there is
> something fundamentally wrong with the system.
>
> The idea I had was to modify install to (optionally) log
> installations.  The logging could be controlled either through
> command line options or environment variables.  Obvious things to
> log would be the file and a tag (port name), but things like the
> user, time and file checksum could be added.  The latter might be
> useful when upgrading a port to find files which might have local
> modifications needing to be preserved.  This could even be used
> for the FreeBSD distribution itself, making upgrades safer and
> easier.
>
> Then, instead of carefully making sure the PLIST matches what is
> really installed, you just make sure that the port uses install
> instead of cp to place its files. bsd.ports.mk would set the
> appropriate environment variables to log the installation.  The
> record of the installation is 100% correct, even if there are
> variant installation options.  The manually maintained PLIST
> seems to be like flypaper in a barn.

I see one problem with this.  If you make it too automated, then stuff the
erroneously gets installed to dumb places like /usr/lib or /etc will not
be noticed by porters, who are forced to notice it now.  The problem I was
addressing above was not the convenience of making PLIST (which I admit
I'd like to have) but the ability for a package to be more agile in
installing options, as a port can be.  The obvious example is whether or
not to gzip man pages.

9120 Edmonston Ct #302      |