Date:      Thu, 20 Mar 2003 23:42:53 -0500 (EST)
From:      Mike <mzavuro1@forbin.qc.edu>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   installation

Hello, I'm installing freebsd or any linux for the first time.  I have an
idea of what I'm doing.  Because I had trouble with my cdrom, I decided
to ftp, also ensuring that I get the latest release.  I went through all the
setup with the floppies, up to the point where I have to configure
network settings.  This is where the problem lies.  I'm on the page
"2.7 Choosing Your Installation Media".  The next page talks about post
installation.  Theres not enough information for what I'm trying to do.

I'm on a home network, so I have access to info like the ip assinged to
me by my isp, the gateway ip, and the internal network ip, but I can't
seem to get the settings on my pc to work.  It doesn't connect, although
the router sees that the pc is connected to it.  The fields I see on the
screen are:

Host, Domain, IPv4 Gateway, Name Server, IPv4 Address, Netmask, Extra
options to ifconfig.

Could you tell me what values if any should I set these fields to?
Also, I'm in New York, NY., which server would be the best to choose?

Thank you,

Mike