Date:      Fri, 02 Apr 2004 18:03:15 +0100
From:      Peter Risdon <peter@circlesquared.com>
To:        Panna <brocken22@gmx.de>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: OSX and Freebsd : what could be a good setup

Panna wrote:

> I've purchased a new emac with OSX 10.3.
> It's soon to arrive and so I'm thinking about a good way of
> interacting the emac - which will be my main desktop - with my 5.2.1
> server.
> Until now I used a windows laptop with xp and the files where shared
> with samba.
> So I thought that using an unixoid os would bring some advantages :-)
> I think that I'll use hfs+ on the emac.
> I've read about the hfs and hfs+ port but I doesn't want to take a risk.
>
> The freebsd server should act as mail and news-server and also as file
> server.
> Do I have to put the data on a fat32-slice?

No.

> If I setup a nfs-mount on the freebsd server and copy data from OSX to
> it, is the data readable from Freebsd without the hfs port?

Yes.

A computer only needs filesystem support for drives that are physically
mounted in it. When two machines talk across a network, they transfer
data using network protocols, not mutual filesystem support.

But it might also be worth considering installing the net/netatalk port.
That way, the mac will be able to mount a network share on its desktop
and you'll be able to use it just like the local hard drive.

PWR.