Date:      Tue, 26 Dec 1995 22:13:55 -0800 (PST)
From:      "Rodney W. Grimes" <rgrimes@GndRsh.aac.dev.com>
To:        pete@RockyMountain.rahul.net (Pete Delaney)
Cc:        karl@mcs.com, Peter.Delaney@eng.sun.com, jbryant@argus.iadfw.net, fnf@amigalib.com, bardhan@corp.megatest.com, hackers@freefall.FreeBSD.org, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org, karl@mcs.net
Subject:   Re: 4GB Seagate Barracuda (Hawk Replacement) goes nuts after a while

> Hi Rodney (et. al.):

Hello.  Not sure what lead you to me on this, but I suppose I am a bit
of a known source for information on these types of things.

>     Seagate replaced the 4GB Hawk with a repaired 4GB Barracuda but
> I seem to have a problem after Solaris 2.4 (without any patches) has
> been running for a while but not doing anything. I suppose the
> nfsd is scanning the disk once per night but other than that it's
> wasn't doing much.

Nice of seagate to replace your drive with a faster one except that the
Barracuda series is pretty much known as a lemon do to overheating
problems and media that likes to flake :-(.

> It seems to get in a state where some SCSI reads are taking a few
> seconds.

This is a good indication that a new error has developed and the drive
goes to every possible measure to recover the data then it spends a bit
more time doing an automatic bad sector allocation to map it out.  Most
drives make a lot of noise during this operation as it is doing recalls
and head offsets trying to recover the data.

> I shutdown openwin (took about 5 mins) and then ran format
> and scan'ed the disk. It was stopping at some sectors for as long as
> perhaps 20 seconds and then moving on. I can hear the drive makeing a
> lot of noise, kind of like the Hawk before it died.

And a strong indication that your Barracuda is about to die :-(.

> I suppose it's time to back up the drive, I fear this is going to
> require my replacing the drive yet again. For years I haven't had
> any trouble with my Micropolus 1.7GB and 1GB drives. My experience
> with the Seagate is leading me to believe I should avoid Seagate
> in the future.

I have been avoiding Seagate drives for about the past 5 years.  Some times
I have used them due to the fact that they made the only drive in the right
capacity/performance/price point.  Infact I sold 2 and 4G hawks for a short
period of time earlier this year since I was having a very hard time getting
any Quantum or Micropolis drives in that size.

> The drive is very well cooled, so it's not a heat problem.  Any thoughts?

Do you have any tools to look at the grown defect list for the drive, if
it has more than a few sectors in it then the drive is defanitly going
south on you and you need to get your data backed up ASAP.  If there are
not any grown defects then there is probably something wrong on the scsi
bus casing retries, this could be bad termination or bad cables, or even
bad or noisy power.