Date:      Mon, 17 May 1999 12:14:19 +1200
From:      nr1@ihug.co.nz
To:        freebsd-security@freebsd.org
Subject:   secure backup

Can anyone recommend how I should go about creating a backup to an untrusted
machine that has the tape drive, and using an untrusted network.

I'm a bit wary of encrypting the output of tar or dump, as a single byte error
would make the rest of the backup useless.  I'd like to encrypt (pgp?) each
file separately as I go, so that a corrupted byte affects only one file on
retrieval.  Is there an existing way to do this, or should I hack tar or dump
into doing it?