Date:      Thu, 14 Mar 2002 22:00:44 -0500
From:      Alan Eldridge <alane@geeksrus.net>
To:        Wayne Lubin <wayneclubin@yahoo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: make's default actions while installing ports

On Thu, Mar 14, 2002 at 06:22:20PM -0800, Wayne Lubin wrote:
>OK, fine, pretty, beautiful and life is great and all
>that, but does anyone know how/where the "all" target
>is defined in bsd.port.mk ?? And if so, can you clue
>me in on it too? Thanks.

Wayne, I'm beginning to wonder if you're in over your head here.

I showed you this excerpt from bsd.port.mk, which occurs directly
after the block conditionalized on the definition of the symbol ALL_HOOK:

<quote file="$PORTSDIR/Mk/bsd.port.mk" line="1925">
.if !target(all)
all: build
.endif
</quote>

I'm sorry, but I can't be much more precise than quoting
the exact code which defines the "all" target. As well, my suggestion
that  careful reading of the make(1) man page was required was not made
just to make conversation. Perhaps I should amend that statement to
be "You need to understand the make(1) man page - all of it - in order
to be able to follow the $PORTSDIR/Mk/bsd.*.mk files."

--
Alan Eldridge
"Dave's not here, man."