Date:      Mon, 02 Oct 1995 10:58:28 -0700
From:      "Justin T. Gibbs" <gibbs@freefall.FreeBSD.org>
To:        dennis@etinc.com (dennis)
Cc:        Brian Tao <taob@io.org>, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 2.1 will require a minimum of 8MB for installation.

>Thats the point. Smaller is better for everyone. You don't want to end up
>like wordperfect, whose marketing dept assumed that everyone was using
>Pentiums with lots of memory, because their  product was unusable on
>everything else. Is it OK to write bad code because 'processors are fast"
>and "memory is cheap"? We develop and test our software on the slowest,
>least loaded machines available, and if it doesn't perform adaquately it
>doesn't make it out the door, even if a large portion of the market has
>pentiums. If you abandon the 4MB limit now, pretty soon you'll be squeezing
>it into 8. Sound like a Microsoft story?
>
>db

The inability to boot in 4MB has nothing to do with bad code.  The
comparison isn't even close to being valid.  As I said before, there
are many people who are interested in making the 4MB limit go away
entirerly in the next release.  We need aditionalfunctionality that
we don't have yet.

Most of your comments take on this attitude like it was some conscious
decision to go above 4MB and that all that the project does is in some
way designed to back stab commercial interests.  I don't think there could
be anything further from the truth.  As to the 4MB issue, we only realized
the problem last last week, and, like any volunteer project, the people who
devote their spare time to it can only do so much.  I'm sure that Jordan
would be happy to accept your "coded" solution to this problem. :)

--
Justin T. Gibbs
  Software Developer - Walnut Creek CDROM