Date:      Mon, 08 May 2000 17:29:20 -0700
From:      Doug Wellington <ddw@NSMA.Arizona.EDU>
To:        Mike Smith <msmith@freebsd.org>
Cc:        freebsd-scsi@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Problems with 36GB SCSI drives...

Previously:
>Cabling or termination.  Probably the latter, given that you're using
>both internal and external connectors, but it's also possible that you're
>using cabling that's just not up to LVD snuff.

I'll check into this some more.  I'm going to try putting a couple disks
on the internal bus to see if that changes anything...

>> int=00000000 err=00000000 efl=00030246 eip=00001b54
>> eax=00000000 ebx=00000386 ecx=00000000 edx=00000000
>> esi=00009ebd edi=00001a3e ebp=0000038e esp=00000382
>> cs=d000 ds=0040 es=9ebd fs=0000 gs=0000 ss=9ebd
>> cs:eip=f7 f1 33 d2 8a 4e f6 f7-f1 3d ff 03 76 03 b8 ff
>> ss:esp=00 00 3f 00 00 00 00 00-00 00 02 00 df 09 00 d0
>> system halted
>
>When exactly do you get this message?  It's typically indicative of your
>system being royally screwed (this is inside the Adaptec BIOS, by the
>looks of it).

This is at the point where FreeBSD should be taking over.  The POST has
completed, the Adaptec adapters have done their thing, the screen has
cleared and I've seen a list of all the PCI devices.  Then this thing
happens.  When I try to boot from the CD, there is actually a message
about booting from the CD, then wham-o, this message pops up.

>You could probably just power-cycle the machine as well (depends on the
>actual nature of the problem, might have to do with the Adaptec BIOS
>trying to be smart).  Formatting the disk is *definitely* the wrong thing
>to do.

Well, I've done the ctrl-alt-del thing, the reset button on the front of
the computer, AND killing the power and it ALWAYS gets stuck at that same
point, until I use the adaptec bios to format the disk.  (Well, or until
I turn off the external case that contains that disk...)

If it's the wrong thing, I'm definitely open to learning what the right
thing is, 'cause it takes 35 minutes for the format.  (I'm only messing
with one disk at a time now - the first time I ran through this, I had to
format all of them to get the system to boot...)  :-(

Thanks!
-Doug

--
Doug Wellington                         System and Network Administrator
ddw@nsma.arizona.edu          The University of Arizona, Tucson, AZ, USA