Date:      Tue, 17 Apr 2012 21:19:13 +0700
From:      Alexey Dokuchaev <danfe@nsu.ru>
To:        Eugene Grosbein <egrosbein@rdtc.ru>
Cc:        stable@freebsd.org, John Baldwin <jhb@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: RELENG_8 kernel as of Apr 14 does not boot

On Tue, Apr 17, 2012 at 08:08:40PM +0700, Eugene Grosbein wrote:
> I guess, Alexey just tries to make smallest possible kernel just for fun :-)

You are correct.  Not for the size reasons though, but I want to be able
to change as much as possible on the fly, without a reboot, and I cannot
"kldunload kernel" yet.  ;-)

Another thing is that, while this is kinda unsupported configuration, it
should work, even being an edge case.  So it's a good test if our kernel
has no hidden dependencies which would inhibit use of a module when it
exists.  Personally I do not see much benefits in having mem/io as modules,
but if they are provided, I should be able to load them from the loader.
If they must be compiled in, I suggest we stop shipping them as modules so
not to confuse people (even that one must specially use "nodevice" to
exclude them).

./danfe