Date:      Tue, 7 Nov 2000 21:23:59 -0500 (EST)
From:      "Albert D. Cahalan" <acahalan@cs.uml.edu>
To:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, roam@orbitel.bg, keramida@ceid.upatras.gr
Subject:   Re: umask(2) and -Wconversion

Peter Pentchev writes:

> As you can see, I'm passing a short i as a first arg, a short f
> as second, and a short b as third; and yet, gcc with BDECFLAGS
> complains about ALL the arguments!

Yes, no kidding. That's what you asked gcc to do.

    `-Wconversion'
         Warn if a prototype causes a type conversion that is different
         from what would happen to the same argument in the absence of a
         prototype.  This includes conversions of fixed point to floating
         and vice versa, and conversions changing the width or signedness
         of a fixed point argument except when the same as the default
         promotion.

The C language is crufty. In the absense of a prototype, "short" is
promoted to "int". You wanted to be warned about that; you got it!

To avoid the warning, avoid passing anything but "int" and "double".
Maybe "long" is OK too, I forget.