Date:      Mon, 10 Sep 2001 02:20:17 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Joe Clarke <marcus@marcuscom.com>
To:        Thomas Fiebig <tfie@stanley.e-technik.uni-erlangen.de>
Cc:        <jmz@FreeBSD.ORG>, <ports@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD Port: XFree86-4.1.0_6

On Mon, 10 Sep 2001, Thomas Fiebig wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have several questions about the XFree86 Version 4:
>
> 1st: If I have downloaded the port x11/XFree86-4.1.0_6, do I still need
> the ports x11/XFree86-clients-4.1.0, x11/XFree86-documents-4.1.0,
> x11/XFree86-libraries-4.1.0, x11/XFree86-manuals-4.1.0 and
> x11-fonts/XFree86-XXXServer-4.1.0_1 to get the system running?
>
> 2nd: I have installed the Version 4 last weekend but several proplems
> occurred to me. The first was, that the execution of xf86config didn't
> offer me the 102-Key Keyboard. The second was, that xf86config didn't
> offer me the color bit depth of 32 bit. Both were possible with Version
> 3 and the same hardware. But the BIGGEST problem was, that after
> starting X with startx, my mouse always ran out of the screen through
> the upper left corner, displaying some parts of the X menues all over
> the screen. Note: I have taken the same mouse protocol as with version
> 3. SO WHAT IS THE PROBLEM??? I have no further idea, do you have one?

I can't comment on your depth problems as I don't know what kind of card
you have.  My GeForce II works great in 32-bit color.  However, your mouse
problem might be your definition in XF86Config.  I run moused like:

moused -z 4 -p /dev/psm0 -t auto

and this is from my XF86Config:

    Identifier  "Mouse0"
    Driver  "mouse"