Date:      Mon, 19 Jul 2004 19:43:12 +0200
From:      Marc Fonvieille <blackend@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Murray Stokely <murray@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        doc@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Creating an Admin Handbook

On Mon, Jul 19, 2004 at 10:49:40AM +0000, Murray Stokely wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 19, 2004 at 12:28:31PM +0200, Simon L. Nielsen wrote:
> > I would suggest announcing the change a bit in advance and the doing a
> > freeze for commits to the handbook during the change, to avoid making it
> > more difficualt than necessary.
>
> Good idea.
>
> > Since a lot of people expect just to look in the "Handbook" and people
> > have have direct links into to it, I think the notice of the change
> > should be published so as many people as possible get the heads up.
> > Perhaps even on announce@.
>
> Yes I think you are right.  We should put a news item up on our front
> page, and I think it is worth a post to announce@.
>
> > instead of giving people a 404 error.  I think it should be fairly
> > trivial to auto generate those HTML files.  It would require doing
> > something special with for the build dir on www.FreeBSD.org, but I think
> > it's worth it to avoid confusing users with dead links.
>
> Yes, that's an excellent idea and I think it's something we could whip
> up in a perl script or similar.

Indeed countless sites, articles, books use the "old" urls and it'll
take times before everything use new links.  We had the same problem
when the Handbook and faq urls "changed" to doc/<lang>/books/handbook
etc...

Another thing, if you do a repocopy of images and remove previous ones
for the admin book, this will break localized versions of the Handbook
using these images.  Maybe we could let some time to translation teams
to update their version and remove the images later.

Marc