Date:      Fri, 23 Jun 2000 19:35:04 +0100
From:      Mark Ovens <mark@ukug.uk.freebsd.org>
To:        Francisco Reyes <fran@reyes.somos.net>
Cc:        Todd Meister <drtboi@drtboi.rdsl.lmi.net>, FreeBSD questions <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Using 2+ window managers

On Fri, Jun 23, 2000 at 07:26:33AM -0400, Francisco Reyes wrote:
> On Fri, 23 Jun 2000 00:29:51 -0700, Todd Meister wrote:
>

> >	 Is there an easy way to switch window managers?
>
> I just looked at the startx script and a "startxfce" script that
> got created after installing xfce.
> The easiest way seems to be to create separate xinit files and
> to create a "startXXX" where XXX is some name of choice.

If you are wanting to switch between them at start-up, as opposed to
switching whilst running (see below) put multiple entries in a "case"
in ~/.xinitrc and run startx with an option. This is mine as an
example, if I want to start KDE I could use ``startx -k'', fvwm2 is
the default. The default startx will pass the ``-k'':

% cat /usr/mark/.xinitrc

if [ -f $HOME/.Xdefaults ]; then
    xrdb $HOME/.Xdefaults               # Load Users X11 resource database
else
    xrdb $OPENWINHOME/lib/Xdefaults     # Load Default X11 resource database
fi

xhost + &

xmodmap $HOME/.xmodmaprc

case "$1" in
        -k)     exec startkde
                ;;

        -o)     sleep 15 & pid=$!       # OpenLook Window Manager
                olvwm -syncpid $pid &
                wait $pid               # Pause until olwm inits

                if [ -x $HOME/.openwin-init ]; then
                        $HOME/.openwin-init     # Custom OpenWindows tools
                else
                        $OPENWINHOME/lib/openwin-init  # Default OW tools
                fi

                wait

                ;;

        *)      exec fvwm2 > /dev/console 2>&1
                ;;
esac

If you wish to swap window manglers whilst running it depends on
whether they have a restart option; fvwm2 does so having a menu option
such as:

	*System(Title Restart, Action Restart fvwm2)

will do the trick. The above example is handy for restarting fvwm2
itself to see the effect of changing the config file without having to
shutdown all the running apps.

HTH

> >all files in that directory ending in wm, you should see a good chunk of
> >them.
>
> There were only two. :-(
> twm and xfwm (from xfce)

  If I buy a copy of WinDelete, and it doesn't delete Windows,
  am I entitled to my money back?