Date:      Thu, 09 Apr 2009 21:03:21 +0100
From:      Duncan Barclay <dmlb@dmlb.org>
To:        Chuck Robey <chuckr@telenix.org>
Cc:        freebsd-chat@freebsd.org, Lars Engels <lars.engels@0x20.net>, Vincent Hoffman <vince@unsane.co.uk>
Subject:   Re: do we have support for the Beagle Board?

Chuck Robey wrote:

> Vincent Hoffman wrote:

>>> What is Pandora?
>>>
>> I think he means
>> http://openpandora.org/
>> Which does look quite nice.
>>

> Correct.  I've been daydreaming about getting a nice handheld for a long time
> now, I dunno, maybe a decade now, but at LEAST since Sharp put out the units
> which really started the entire idea.  The Pandora, it's the first one I've seen
> that really gets to a point that I've been happy with.
>
> I wouldn't even consider something that didn't have a minimum of 640x480.  I
> also wanted a keyboard, even if it needed to be of a "chicklet" variety, but it
> needed to be pretty close to something that could be described as a QWERTY
> keyboard.  I wanted a lot of RAM, lot of flash, and enough speed and power to
> host it's own compiler.  Up until now, I just didn't see anything else out there
> that came close to meeting my minimums.  Well, Pandora *way* more than meets my
> minimums, and it does it at a small fraction of what I thought something like
> that's going to cost.
>
> I know very well that I can't afford this at the moment, but I went ahead and
> got on the list to get one of these (it only caost me, base, $330).  They info
> about this is scattered all over, I don't *think* that there is anything like a
> published spec on this, so grabbing the info on the Pandora means spending a LOT
> of time on Google.  I think everything is out there, just extremely poorly
> organized.  I've located the fact that the processor is a variant of the ArmV7,
> a OMAP3530, which means that it's a 600Mhz processor integrated with a version
> of TI's venerable 320-family of DSP processors.
>
> Software wise, it's even better.  It was designed using public newsgroups, and
> making maximal use of public software.  I'm  not sure, but I think some parts of
> it might be limited in distribution, things like NDAs might be involved here.  I
> don't like that, but it's still geatly better than any of it's competitors.  TI
> has made available software written for the DSP processor implementing the
> latest version of OpenGL (ES?), so that the Pandora sports the best video 3D
> output you could have dreamed about.  It runs a very recent version of Linux, I
> think that's 2.6.26.  I'd REALLY like to get one of the BSD's here, I don't yet
> know what the status of that is.  Up until recently, OpenBSD had the best
> support for the ARM, but I know works been done for FreeBSD, so I need to check
> that out.

If it is a OMAP 3530, then it has an hardware OpenGL ES 2.0 core, that
can do something like 10million triangles/second. It also has hardware
acceleration for video decoding, and can mix and match them to two
outputs (one 720p, one analogue). The CPU is a Cortex-A8, which is
super-scaler and has floating point and SIMD. The OMAP reference manual
is available from the TI website, it's a couple of thousand pages though!

I've been evaluating these for work recently, and would really like a
box like the Pandora too.
> You begin to understand why I'm *really* looking forward to getting the Pandora
> delivered to me, in about a month of two.  This stuff is really exciting, isn't it?
>
> If you want to know more, start at openpandora.org, but expect to have to spend
> a lot of time getting the info together.  I wish this weren't true, but unless
> I've really missed a lot, then the info just isn't organized very well.  If
> anyone knows more about the things I'm interested in, please, talk to me.
> Here's a few items ... about making a gcc crosscompiler, what's the --target
> string?  What kind of floating point does it use, what's the actual name used to
> describe it?  What's the status of FreeBSD's ARM stuff, does any of it work for
> the relatively new ArmV7 (I think it's called the TI OMAP3530, with the DSP
> being a Cortex A8).  Same info for OpenBSD.

The DSP is not a Cortex, it's the 64x series of TI DSP. The Cortex is
Arm's latest CPU. Arm instruction sets are labeled as ArmV5, V6, V7 etc.
Then, Arm develop CPU cores that implement these:
    ArmV5   ARM9xx such as an Arm926 processor
    ArmV6   ARM1176 CPUs
    ArmV7   ARM Cortex-A8, Cortex-A9s etc.
These core's are then licensed to chip manufacturers for them to use.

Duncan